Friday, March 13, 2009

Father Falls Best: The Family's First Ski Adventure













Thanks to the immense generosity of my nephew, Johnny Graham, and his wife, Kaley, we were able to take the kids (minus Tess, who spent the day with Aunt Ruth) skiing at Snowbird.

Johnny snagged us free passes that he has access to from his work, discount ski clothing, and free equipment rentals. We would not have been able to afford this otherwise. Then, he and Kaley accompanied us and worked with our kids, freeing Heidi and I to make a few runs of our own.

It's been over a decade since I last skiied. "It can't be THAT difficult to pick up where I left off," I thought to myself.

As it turns out, it WAS that difficult. For me, anyway. Heidi zoomed back into action, elegantly and deftly zig-zagging her way down the mountain. I zoomed, too: a tumbling zoom of flailing arms, legs, skis, and poles as I wiped out at various points on the slope. Heidi found great amusement in this and snapped a photo of one of my upendings (see above).

Things only got worse for me after Heidi and I took a wrong turn, and the only way back to our lift was down a black diamond slope. Fortunately, Heidi went first and was unable to photographically document my awkward, freakishly absurd descent, interrupted by multiple, powdery mishaps with gravity.

The kids, however, picked up skiing quite quickly, and Ian was really cruising.

Perhaps if we're lucky, we'll make it back to the slopes before another decade passes.
NEXT STOP: Hair Gone Bad

No comments: